Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A tight squeeze

January 19, 2010

Today was Cord's day for carpool so he drove the Suburban. I didn't have anywhere to be today so I didn't mind. At least that is what I thought. It turns out that I forgotten that Cole and Ella both had their annual checkup. Fortunately,the appointment was while the older 4 girls were in school. So the three youngest would fit nicely in the back of the truck. It was a perfect plan: the kids ride the bus home to my friends house after school and she would watch them until I got done. I called the bus company, sent emails to the teachers about the bus change, and I informed the twins of the situation and sent them off to school.

Well, it was less than perfect in execution. The emails I sent to the teachers informing them of the bus change never got out due to a new email system, the older girls knew nothing of the plan so when the twins' teacher asked them about it, they said that they were to go home. The bus left without the girls, great teacher called me, (right as the Dr. was walking in ) and we discovered the error, bus was called back to get the girls. Cord was called to follow up and make sure that the girls got to our friends house. I was stuck at the Doctor's office, unable to leave and get the girls, because I didn't have room in the truck to take them home. Luckily, after a few dozen phone calls the girls ended up at our friends house, Cole and Ella both got a clean bill of health, Cole got 2 shots, oh and to top it off Porter had a stinky diaper and while I was changing him he peed all over me, himself and the exam table (and of course he did it right as the nurse was coming in to give Cole his shots. So she had to wait for me to clean up the mess and then she had to disinfect the table). After the mayhem we loaded in the truck and went to my friends house to get the older girls. As we pulled into her driveway I suddenly realized that somehow all 8 of us plus their snow clothes and backpacks had to fit into the truck. It was too cold outside for them to walk home so we had to put Ella's car seat and all of their stuff in the truck bed and pile in. We only had to drive a few blocks, but it was quite the adventure.

Kinley and Reese in the front seat.


Tate with Ella on her lap, Riley, Porter in his car seat, and Cole.

The whole gang.

No comments: