The first transformation occured when my mom came to visit us in Arkansas when Tate was blessed. While she was there I got an idea after a few too many episodes of Trading Spaces that we should add some color to the couch. So it was off to the fabric store. I found the fabric and my Mom did all of the work. My mom painstakingly unpicked and recovered some of the pillows for me in my new favorite color scheme Red and Gold. They turned out amazingly beautiful and they have remained that way for the past six years.
Well, as any of you who have been to either our home in Arkansas or Idaho know that the red and gold color scheme over took the entire living area of our house and even the master bedroom. When we moved here to Minnesota I began to have a love/hate relationship with red and gold. Love the fact that I had all of the decor, hate because it was all red and gold. For the past year I have been on a mission to rid my house of the red and gold. It has been a very slow moving process because of the amount of red and gold, and of course most importantly the cost to replace it. These couches were my last big project that stood in my way of the mission being accomplished.
To clarify one thing I love the colors red and gold and I think they are beautiful to decorate with, but due to my complete obsession with the color I am sick of it. I love it in other peoples homes in fact, after seeing other homes decorated in the color scheme my love for the colors deepen, but then I have to remind myself of the six year rut that I am trying to get out of.
This past weekend Kinley and I went to a local fabric store in hopes to find some ideas for my new color scheme. Luckily, I found some great fabrics, and with the help of the stores interior designer I was reassured that my colors would work and it was a great new look. So with the coupons she gave me the cost of the fabric for my couch transformation was less than $14. So with my limited sewing abilities I have spent the last two days redoing the pillows of the couches. I will be cleaning the couches after we get them moved down to the basement (so ignore the spots in the pictures), but just couldn't wait to post the pictures of the transformation.
Here are some pictures of the couches in all of their stages. They don't look bad for nine year old couches.
Here are the pictures.
The couches in their original state


The couches in their Red and Gold


The couches in their new color scheme. You can't see it in the picture, but the yellow pillow actually has green stripe.





5 comments:
Those are darling! Look at you, being crafty among the many other hats you wear! Great job--I love both color schemes!
wow I'm impressed. Want to come sew my fabric that is just hanging on a rod at my house. It's my spring break project. haha!
Fabulous! Luv it!
Very nice! You are like Paige Davis from trading spaces :) I don't suppose the sturdy couches came from R.C. Willey ? :)
Love the pillows! Don't you love how such a little thing can make such a big difference?!
Post a Comment