Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving

Okay, so I have been lagging behind in my blogging. I keep thinking I need to sit down and type something profound about Thanksgiving and all that I am thankful for. Alas, my profoundness has fled and I am stuck with a basic update.

We had a great Thanksgiving. At first, I was disappointed we were not going back west to be with family for the holidays. I love being with my family for the holidays. This is the first year that we will not be going back for either Christmas or Thanksgiving. So in order to make it truly feel like the holidays, I decided it was time to start and continue some traditions for our little family.

One of the tradition we continued was pie night. The night before Thanksgiving the kids get together at my parents house and help my mom make ALL of the pies (usually in the high teens or twenties). After all of the pies are done we all sit around and get to have a piece of pie and play games, or a do a puzzle. Well I decided that it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving with out pie night. However, I didn't think it would work to invite all of my friends and neighbors over to make pies, so I decided to make the pies ahead of time and have them over to eat pie.

So Tuesday night and Wed. morning I made 3 Pumpkin pies, 2 Key Lime pies, 2 lemon meringue pies, 2 french silk pies, and 1 lime chiffon pie. I love to cook, but pies are not my specialty. But as Cord says if it has sugar and butter in it you can't go wrong. Luckily they turned out okay.

Our first annual Schrader Pie Night went great. We had 36 people, half of which were kids. Thank goodness for basements (finished or not) it is a great place for all of the kids to run and play. We also had the Peanuts Thanksgiving DVD playing (thanks Mike and Carrie). It was a fun night. There was plenty of pie for everyone and it was just fun to be with friends and neighbors. It is definitely a tradition that we will continue.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house the next day, and it was wonderful. Lots of really good food, great company, lots of laughs, and of course more pie. It was a great day.

Although we weren't able to be with family. I am grateful to have such great friends and neighbors that made it such a great holiday. It reminded me of the few Thanksgivings we had in Arkansas. The one advantage to being far from family is your friends and neighbors become your family.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

What a fun tradition! And good for you for carrying it on!! :-)